In this post we talk about 3 top tips on how to care for your beard – and the products to use
To ensure your beard, your pride and joy stay’s clean and tidy, you have to spend time grooming it. We can’t expect to just grow the beard and it will grow how we want it, without care, it will turn into a wild and tangled thing.
So, in this post, we’re going to go through some top tips on how to care for your beard.
1. Shampoo and Condition regularly
Our first tip may seem obvious to most, surprising that there are some men who don’t think about using shampoo and conditioner. Some men will just use a regular soap or wash, some may think about a shampoo but how many of you also condition?
A beard, like any hair, needs to be washed with shampoo and then conditioner to stay at its best. So, wash it with shampoo, rinse, then use a good hair conditioner and rinse out
Once washed you will need to dry it. The best way to dry your beard is by gently patting and wiping your beard with a dry towel. Blow drying can be a bit harsh on your face skin so its best to avoid that if possible.
Once your beard is dry, comb your beard and mustache with a wide-toothed comb to remove tangles. Optionally, you can also finish up by using a brush.
2. Using some beard balm
If you condition your beard regularly then you may not need to use a beard balm, in essence, this is conditioning. However, to make sure your beard stays in the best condition, it is a good idea to also use a beard balm to condition your beard through the day.
There are many different beard balms out there, some that you spray on, some that you rub in. Choice of which is really personal taste, the more important thing is to condition the way you prefer.
3. Trimming your beard
Trimming and tidying up your beard is a very personal thing. Some people will only have it done by a barber or other professional, others prefer to only do it themselves.
If you are planning to trim yourself, here are some points to think about.
- If you’re going to trim your beard yourself, you’ll need the right tools. You will have to decide whether to trim using scissors or a beard trimmer
- If you decide to trim primarily with scissors, consider purchasing a pair of professional barber’s scissors
- When considering beard trimmers, a rechargeable cordless model might be a good choice – you can maneuver it much easier
- You should also have a good wide-toothed comb
- Never trim your beard when wet, the hair is usually longer when wet so you may take a little too much off
- Make sure you have a good large mirror to use when trimming
- Miscellaneous stray hairs should be removed with a trim razor. Plucking them is not recommended
If using a trimmer, they usually come with trim guards which make it easier to trim to size. If cutting using scissors, use a good comb and only cut the hair on the outside of the comb.
The important thing is to make sure you take good care of your beard to stop it becoming unmanageable. The above products are a good example of items to use; some more examples are listed below. You may also find other products that you prefer to use, but ensuring you clean well and keep trimmed will keep your beard looking good.